“Regulation of breath or the control of Prana is the stoppage of inhalation and exhalation, which follows after securing that steadiness of posture or seat.”
Thus, Pranayama means “breathing techniques” or “breath control”. Ideally, this practice of opening up the inner life force is not merely to take healthy deep breaths. It is intended for yoga practitioners to help and prepare them in their Meditation process. In our respiration process, we breathe in or inhale oxygen into our body, going through our body systems in a form of energy to charge our different body parts. Then we exhale carbon dioxide and take away all toxic wastes from our body. Through the practice of Pranayama, the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide is attained. Absorbing prana through breath control links our body, mind, and spirit. But life is full of stress. Because of the daily work, family, or financial pressures, we tend to ignore our breathing. Thus, it tends to be fast and shallow. The use of only a fraction of your lungs results to lack of oxygen and may lead to different complications. Heart diseases, sleep disorders, and fatigue are some of the effects of oxygen starvation. Therefore, the negative energy of being restless and troublesome leads to lesser prana inside the body. By practicing deep and systematic breathing through Pranayama, we re energize our body.
Breathing is a natural part of our life, It is an autonomic function of the body that we perform even without concentrating on it.
Benefits of Pranayama:-
- Pranayama increase the capacity of our lungs, bringing more oxygen supply to the body to function well.
- Reduces the toxins and body wastes from within our body.
- Fights away stress and relaxes the body.
- Pranayama teaches us the proper way to breathe.
- Develops our concentration and focus.
- With the proper way of breathing, one’s metabolism and health condition will start to improve.
- Pranayama leads to spiritual journey through a relaxed body and mind
- Mind can function clearly, avoiding arguments and wrong decisions.
- Controlling breathing also results to serenity & peace of mind.
I have been coming to Yoga Sol for about 6 months and it’s been a life-changing experience. The studio is always clean and that includes the bathrooms. There are lockers there so you can stow your belongings safely.
Yoga Sol is a community of teachers and students deeply interested in self improvement. The staff really does care about their students and you can see the dedication the teachers have in sharing their love of Yoga.